Golf Shop and Course Happenings
Golfing in the Summer Heat
People may view this weather as some of the worst conditions to golf in. But instead of whining about it, learn some tips that will keep you safe while you enjoy playing a round here at SunBird Golf Club.
- Early tee time: A simple way to avoid the heat and sun is to get out on the course early. Not only will you dodge the scorching temps, but you will avoid the peak tee time crowds and complete the round quicker and have time to enjoy some afternoon pool time.
- Hydrate: One of the most important things is to stay hydrated, and you should start hydrating at least one day before you play. As much as you want to crack open a cold one, you should avoid caffeine and alcohol and alternate drinking water and sports drinks such as Gatorade/ Power aide. Before you head to the first tee, wet a towel that you can place around your neck between shots to help keep cool.
- Protective apparel: Wear light-colored clothes that are breathable and a wide brim hat. Many golf brands offer moisture-wicking apparel that keeps players cool on the course. While it might seem illogical, wearing long sleeves made of the proper materials can help as well. Wear a pair of glare-reducing polarized sunglasses because they are some of the most effective at protecting your eyes from damaging rays.
- Sunscreen: Do not skimp on the SPF and lip balm! Remember to layer on sunscreen that is at least SPF 30 or higher and says UVA on the label. Apply it 30 minutes before going out on the course and reapply at the ninth hole. You can also look for apparel that has sunblock technology built in to helps block the harmful sun rays.
- Seek shade: Park under a tree when available.
Next time you are getting ready to go out on the course in extreme heat, try to remember these tips. You can also purchase Sunscreen, lip balm, cool towels, and protective clothing in the Golf Shop. Be safe and have fun.